Wednesday, September 27, 2006

T.O.

Why do we care when Terrell Owens tries to kill himself?

It's a sincere question. I am not asking because I'm mean or because I don't like Terrell. I am curious about why his scandal is so emotionally engaging. Is it the same impulse that slows drivers down to rubberneck a collision? Does
this kind of distant action function as a kind of preparatory training run for our own coming trainwreck? I really don't want to cast my vote for schadenfreude.

T.O's spent his past decade delivering drama for us and he didn't disappoint today. He provided today's version which we couldn't stop talking about at work. First, allergic reaction and broken fingers caused and commiseration and pain to Fantasy coaches. Second, the reports of a suicide attempt threw the place into a tizzy. Finally, as a media misunderstanding. Yeah. Sure, Terrell, the pills just jumped into your mouth. He might be another in the tiring line of self-branding performance artists. But he does deliver.

Why would we care one way or another? Maybe a better question is "how is it possible to pay attention to what is important to us?" Either answer "So much more is important to us than we're ready to admit" or " Every human thing, even a wretched human thing, is important" is a good response. At least that allows me to back away from this question with some grace as I turn and run for the door.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home