Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Obsessions

That nice Michael Caine recently taught me that obsessions are a young man's game (see The Prestige, now on DVD). No matter, I'm doing what I can to build a new set of them. This doesn't mean that I'm throwing out the old ones. It's more like one of those corporate mergers where the existing employees all get to reapply for the jobs that they current hold.

One of my life long obsessions, never fully cultivated, is hanging out by stony riverbeds. I'm pretty happy with what the Seattle area has to offer. In fact, much of the region's natural world is sitting on my dining table:

Okay, calling this a dining room table might not be accurate. It's more like a Paper, Rock, Scissors court where Rock has a serious home-field advantage. The only wrinkle in this game is the abundance of water. Water wets Rock. Rock stinks.

Most of these rocks came from the Cascades or Port Townsend. Both fine places, full of rocks. Every now and then, I lift my head (and camera) and click at some differently-configured rock features.

This is a pic of Crescent Lake. Saw nothing shaped like a crescent or anything like a yeasty roll. Probably named by some lunatic who saw the crystal reflection of a gibbous moon. Just a guess.

Another sharply arranged pile of rocks is breathtaking from the ferry ride to PT. Mt. Rainier is beyond the abilities of my modest little camera but Rainier makes everything seem modest and little in comparison.

I didn't really talk about obsessions as much as I had planned. Rock and taking pictures of rocks are pencilled into the obsessions category. I might branch out and make painting rocks an obsession as well. Maybe I'll expand into eggs as well. That would be exciting!




2 Comments:

At 10:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's quite a lovely little pic of Mt. Rainier. Looks rather like a painting, with all the soft, filmy, multi-hued clouds and that dark line of water and trees.

 
At 1:01 AM, Blogger Phil said...

Thank you!

I might be at the point where I need to learn more about a different type of viewing discipline than seeing the world in watercolor. Or maybe I'm right on target.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home