Friday, July 13, 2007

I think I'm turning Chinese

Not really. Plus I'd have to learn Chinese and I still have problems with the English.

But I just heard NPR's twist on Harry Potter reporting which concerned the difficulties of bringing this final tome out in the Chinese language. The upshot is that it takes at least three months to translate the real thing. Pirates can create something in five days. This leads to a strange and delightful fact in Chinese publishing: the totally made up translation.

Bill Clinton's memoir was cited as an example. Below is an excerpt from Kitabkhana, a literary blog:

Clinton's memoirs have been sanitised by China's translators and book pirates.
The counterfeit edition of Clinton's book, My Life, starts with a memorable line: "The town of Hope, where I was born, has very good feng shui."
Another story reports:
Out went: "I was concerned about China's continued suppression of basic freedoms" and "I went to bed thinking that China would be forced by the imperatives of modern society to become more open."
In came: "She (Hillary) was as beautiful as a princess. I told her my name is Big Watermelon" and "China is a mysterious and unique place."

How can you beat that! Suddenly, I'm interested in biography again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home