Thursday, July 26, 2007

Inspiration

Many of you probably don't know that one of my life goals has been to be awarded an honorary doctorate degree from THE Ohio State University. Frankly, I've not made much progress on that front. Now, after reading about Brian May in today's news, I might strike the honorary degree from my list.

Unless you're a big-time guitar fan, you probably don't know who Brian May is. But you have heard him play, he was the screaming guitarist for Queen. Almost impossible to not to have heard their jolly noise! May became a headline because of his brain and what he made it do. Below is the note from today's New York Times.

Brian May, 60, who abandoned his studies more than 30 years ago to found the rock group Queen, has returned to his first love: astrophysics. Mr. May, best known as a guitarist and songwriter, said that within the next two weeks he plans to submit his doctoral thesis, “Radial Velocities in the Zodiacal Dust Cloud,” to supervisors at Imperial College London, The Associated Press reported. He was an astrophysics student there when the glam rock band Queen, including Freddie Mercury and Roger Taylor, was formed in 1970. As a result of the band’s success, Mr. May put aside his doctoral studies. He told the BBC he had always wanted to complete his degree. “It was unfinished business,” he said. “I didn’t want an honorary Ph.D. I wanted the real thing that I worked for.”

Well, crap- in a good way, I guess. Now I have little reason to whine about the difficulty of going back to school or to angle for an honorary degree from O.S.U. Just time to get to it and enjoy the work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home