Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Halloween

You might have expected a few photos of 'treaters but no. Just a quick story.

Tonight, I sat here with my pumpkin full of candy, all excited about giving it away. No such luck. The late afternoon melted into evening and zip. Nothing. And feeling a bit bad because I snacked on a few items in spite of my fancy meal plan.

As it was getting a bit on, I was just about to shut down Operation "Save-me-from-myself" when the doorbell rang.

A lovely nuclear family yelled the traditional greeting and I was happy to be facing gaping pillow sacks. "We are SO glad that you were here," the dad said. "We just came from the mall where ALL the stores had only tootsie rolls to give away. Can you believe it? So we left the mall to go to the neighborhoods and nothing. Finally, we saw your pumpkin light and there you go!"


I asked the little girls to take many handfuls to save my colleagues at work. Their tiny little hands grabbed and grabbed. Made the dad and mom grab too. The whole thing felt speedy and a bit frenzied. I think that all the adults were relieved that sugar had passed from hand to hand. We could tuck ourselves (and our kids) in for the coming winter, with some ghosty bargain kept.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home