Thursday, August 03, 2006

a thinner slice

I continue to question how I interact with the people in my world. This isn't a bad thing, it's a good thing.

One earlier example concerned the language a "professional" salesperson uses. The interviewing techniques (from the social sciences it seems) made me wonder whether I asked enough questions in life, among other things. Was I able to use language to help understand what I'm hearing?

Today, overheared during a public argument, came the following:

Young Man: "You're disparaging me."
Young Woman: "I'm not disparaging you."

There was then a bunch of nattering back and forth, nothing so shiny as the disparaging moment.

In my personal lexicon, I am nowhere near using something as fine as "disparaging" to describe anything in my life. Man, my main implements are rock, stick and fire compared to that guy.
I'd better snap to. I've got a lot of distinctions to make!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home