Monday, October 02, 2006

Opacity

Momsen, thank you.

Because I don't have any of the material in front of me, I can't tell you the first names of the Momsens, but they have collected a bunch of cool photographs.

75 at 75 is the name of their show at the Henry Museum on the University of Washington campus, commonly refered to as the uDub. Bunches of iconic images, the best photographers and some challenging, unexpected ones as well. Many of the biggies were well-represented and I got to see photos I've only read about. That is always exciting and potentially thought-provoking.

My surprise was that the one photograph that has really lingered for me is from a series that has made so little sense to me. Opaque is a good word. The surprise is that it's a Stieglitz image just a bit after the turn of the century, a snowy shot of the New York Central Railroad Yard. Stieglitz has always been a difficult fellow for me to get a handle on.

There's a nimble balance in this image. Falling snow, billowing steam and the hard black of the rails and engine are just right. His composition is lovely as well. I wish I could provide some insight but this image stumps my ability to talk about it. Evocative images make me blind, apparently is my argument.

Maybe this is a typical beginner's problem. Read a lousy novel and you can see the flaws and easily talk about them. Encounter a great, seamless work and you will have to sweat to get beyond the giant obstructing your path to a personal understanding of the work. I'm not sure that I can honestly say that I even see a giant in front of me.
Talk about opaque.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home