Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Aguas da Amazonia

Uakti (wah-key-chee is how you pronounce their name) is a Brazilian percussion group that I know about because of their recording of Philip Glass pieces. They play engaging, warm mostly handmade instruments. Judging from the album, very little pvc pipe remains for home remodelers where they live. Philip Glass loves these guys too.

I mention Uakti because I have missed them. I passed their cd on recently after supposedly burning a copy. Not quite a perfect job. I messed up and interlaced a blues album with it, which wasn't a bad mix. But it was not what I needed. Thankfully, Aguas has found its way back on my stereo and playing right now.

It's been years since I've yearned for music like this. The last tune I remember getting worked up about was "Losing My Religion." That was me in the corner! Really!

This collection feeds some deep hunger in me right now. The reason is beyond me. I missed them before the water rose. I missed them happy. I missed them sad. Maybe it will help you piece it together if you know what a Uakti is.

According to Amazon legend, Uakti "was a huge creature with holes all over his body, and whenever he ran through the forest, the wind passing through his body made wonderful and intriguing sounds."
I can't tell you how sensible this legend is to me. Put a flutey creature in front of me and things come out right.

I'm sitting here now with a small driving hope for a wind that will blow rain into me tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home