Thursday, September 07, 2006

Moony

Near full moon tonight.

It found the sky's sole cradle of clouds and I could see its topology so clearly. Mt. Marilyn,
Blotchy Valley, the Sea of Annoyance. The moon-struck and film goer knows that only one of those names is real. I think. Few of us can articulate that geography. I might have a difficult time identifying all the countries on the Mediterranean but I still dream about their bright waters.

After all these years of gazing, I'm still a slack-jawed cave boy when I see the moon ablaze like tonight. Not long ago, there was only sun, fire, moonlight and the random firefly for illumination. Okay, lava. I forgot lava. Sparks too. But both of those (and fire) must have been experienced with some ambivalence as well as wonder.

Missing tonight for Perfect was a shining rain of fireflies. The moon was silver lovely and I am greedy asking for an encore. But my one great gasp leads me to believe that there might be more beauty, see, just over the rise there.

1 Comments:

At 7:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

According to my blogular moon phase thingamajig, it was full last night, and tonight will be waning gibbous, which sounds like some sort of creature at the zoo. Having not grown up with fireflies I don't miss them, but the kidlet has expressed dismay that we don't have them here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home