Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Easy

What is it that causes something to become easy?

The essays by Atul Gawande in Complications speak to the difficulty of learning surgical procedures. So many techniques rely on repeating steps that are done blind. You just have to watch a teacher then do them yourself. Feel comes into play and after a number of shaky attempts, the technique comes together and snaps into place. It's a mystery that borders on magic.

After my car was stolen, I bought an anti-theft device that locks up the clutch with an ingenious, simple action. It's a blind procedure too. Nothing as consequential as installing a main line, but after a bunch of fumbling attempts, I've now lock this up smoothly.

Today, a large organizational problem just snapped into place for me. After a couple of months of trying, it became simple. I saw it. It was easy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home