Saturday, January 19, 2008

Time Machine

Courtesy of the Cinemark Movie Theater in White City, I fell backwards in time. I could do a bit of research to pinpoint the date but it's not necessary. Rosy neon seen now, I suspect, only in bordellos, warmed the lobby and some vague memory.

The matinée of No Country for Old Men, the Coen Brothers latest film featured not only an old fashioned matinée time limit, 6pm, but the price for the matinée was $2.50. Yes, that's $2.50 American. With pricing like that, I felt duty bound to purchase the largest snack portions I could stomach. With bountiful Mediums purchased, the entire bill was under $10.

No Country was set in 1980, just about the era of the White City ("A Great Place to Live") Cinemark. White City (have I mentioned that it's a great place to live?) rose out of nothing in 1941 as Camp White where over 100,000 soldiers were trained for WWII. German P.O.W.s were housed there as well. Much better than being executed.

Sorry about the history lesson, that's the damn internet's fault.

This was the first film I've seen since I've moved to Medford and what a pleasant, competent surprise. Now that I know that watching a movie is cheap, I'll see more films, crappy and otherwise, than I've seen for years. Medford 1, Modernity 0.

Since someone will ask- yes, see it. That simple.

1 Comments:

At 9:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We recently paid $6.25 for bargain matinée tickets at one of those 1980's era theaters with the tiny screening rooms. One small nicety at the theater was the pitchers of ice water and paper cups set out on either end of the concession counter. No pricey bottled water purchase required!

We enjoyed Michael Clayton with six other people... one advantage of seeing a movie at 1pm on a weekday, several months after its release.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home