Sunday, May 21, 2006

Monster Trends

One of my favorite things, phenomena, I'll call amplified awareness. That occurs when you have a new object in mind. Best example, buy a new Corolla and you'll see tons of Corollas. It's not that you are the tipping point, it's just that you have new filters on how you see the world.

I have been a party to this in a delightful way, I think. You might have read recently about Eli, the frogs and aliens. Well, there's been another sighting.

I was walking down the street on Saturday, minding my own business, when I approached a mom-like person and a little girl, eight or nine maybe. I eavesdrop as much as the next voyeur, or ecouteur. The little princess (hey, that's how she was dressed) was talking about the Goblins that she hung out with. Her companion was highly amused and asked questions like:

"Are they boy goblins or girl goblins?"
"Mostly girl goblins."
"What do they do?"
"Well, the one girl goblin raps all the time."
"You mean, like rap music?"
"Yeah. She raps all the time."

As I arrived at the door, I looked back and grinned at the mom-like person who smiled back and couldn't be more perplexed or delighted.

This must be a fortuitous time for aliens, demi-monsters and otherworldly companions in the lives of children. I hope that is a large, continuing trend for kids. At the very least, now's a good time for me to tune in and get a clue about the hidden forces around me. At the very least.

1 Comments:

At 6:31 PM, Blogger Paul said...

Man, I love goblin rap!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home