Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Taking and Giving

My mother always said: "Admire not the ways of the capitalist, for he makes his money on the broken backs of the workers." Hmmm. Or maybe it was Marx. Whoever.

I'm none-the-less impressed by Warren Buffett for giving away most of his enormous bank to the Gates Foundation. It's not like he's building libraries like Carnegie. His name won't go onto a malaria vaccine. His donation probably isn't without some ego, as reported. That might make this gift a unique one, and therefore, unbearable. I wanted some back slaps when I gave some ducats which probably never reached the Hurricane Katrina survivors. I probably did better with the Tsunami donation. Money was probably better spent there. I digress.

Buffett has put his legacy into the hands of another which is unusual in our world. Here are his random thoughts from one of the articles in today's NYTimes: "A market system has not worked in terms of poor people;" "I don't believe in dynastic wealth" for those "members of the lucky sperm club." He also gets upset with his brethern at his country club when its members complain about welfare mothers getting food stamps "while they are trying to leave their children a more-than-lifetime-supply of food stamps and are substituting a trust officer for a welfare officer."

Buffett is participating in a practical, do-gooder welfare: foster successful businesses and redistribute the accumulated lucre toward a higher, democratic good. Another over-simplification but accurate enough for the likes o me.

I am not certain that making a committment like Buffett has is made easier because he's got a zillion dollars or hangs at a country club. In a news cycle dominated by the sacred cluster of cells, gay marriage bashing, Katrina victims readying for Round Two, and did I mention the march of democracy in Iraq, Mr. Buffett's decision reminds me of the founding character traits that might get us out of these ugly messes. Yes, he rates a "Mr." from me now although he'd probably be quick to wave that title off as well.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home