Thursday, July 06, 2006

Day Gig

First day, good day. I maintained my even keel; that was quite encouraging. My food day featured a light salad for lunch, with a dotting of almonds at 10 and 2. And the cheese stick. Thank you Trader Joe's.

Nice people, enough organization, training and I can now get daily newsprint at a discount. My smudgy fingers are all twitchy. The folks in my group are inordinately nice and professional. Just as important, the environment was relaxed and jolly. I think I'll fit right in.

The numbers and bolts that drive this activity are mind-numbing and fascinating. Whether I'll continue to find this attractive is why I'm here. If I don't, then I'll probably become a dirt farmer. I'd grow me one of those crops that they'd pay me not to grow. That is a pretty good gig, I think.

No idea of what the work will be like and how I'll feel about it. I do very much like the idea of what I'll be doing. It's hard to evaluate until you're six or nine months in. By then, I'll realize that I need a bigger computer monitor, that the breakroom smells like stale crackers and advertising is the devil hisself. Wow, that last thing sounds pretty exciting.

I'll keep at my day gig in addition to my real job of becoming a writer. I've never before said, "I make money doing X but what I really do is...." Maybe my time has come.


1 Comments:

At 10:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your time has definitely come, my friend. It's a powerful thing to say, "I am a writer."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home