Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Lottery

I am often amused. Maybe that is a stand in for disgust (as noted by Mr. Costello) or anger, but it's often just amusement to me. Strategic repetition, as any kids know, is a powerful device. Certain types of repetition for me transform what should be massively irritating into, you guessed it, an amusing diversion.

Here's a great example. Once every week or two, I receive a voice mail from an automated being who has some urgent business with...me? That's the hook. I know that the first name will be "Phil." Will the second ever be "Potter?" "Urgent business with 'Phil -pause- Shavers.'" (Dang, not me again!) If this is "Phil...Shavers" please call...." That's how it goes every time. Some anonymous, non-me Phil that someone desperately needs to speak to.

This has become a grand contest for me now. Everytime I hear that familiar automated voice, I'm ready to place my bet.
If you need to be reassured, I'm not jonesing for a magic spin at the roulette wheel. I don't really need to have desperate words spoken to me. All I probably need to do is hit the "delete" button a bit more quickly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home