Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Thread Count

"...like something out of the book of Job" has been the line that people have enjoyed most over the past few days. I've been trying to describe what almost all of my clothed body looked like after an allergic reaction to an antibiotic. That line kills. You can use, is okay.

I'm still quite itchy although now I look a ton better, more along the scale of the damage caused by the worst episode of biting critters you've ever encountered. And yes, that is a ton better. The splotching and hives were spectacular, like a red, angry cheetah. Thought about posting a photo of any body part but decided it would do no good at all.

I took four days off to work through this (not quite done yet) and doped myself up with antihistimes and wore very soft clothing. I found out that a pattern printed on sheets is not comfortable in all skin states. I thought gingham was my friend....

***

I have a new job assignment. My company is converting a tired piece of software into fresher puppy and I'm the expert from my and another department. This should last around eight months. After that, I assume that they'll put me into a digital shredder and sell off the remaining 1's and 0's. How do I feel about the move? Should be worthwhile; a great way to learn what other departments do, mess with stuff and shape tomorrow's future! For the better! Really! I hope so, at least.

***

My heart clutched a bit when I saw a book on the bestseller list with an element in it like the one I'm writing. If the element was too close to mine, I'd be screwed.

Close but not close enough. I continue one. And no, it's not a Nora Roberts or Maeve Binchy book you bastards. Leave me alone.

***

Reader, I bought a couch. It's a simple leather thing from Macy's. It's some fake Italian name, Scolifiganlio, or some nonsense. That's because it's Macy's Natuzzi brand made in China. Great sits and I'm still trying to figure out how to use it.

***

My kitchen flooded due to a stopped drain common to our fourplex. Once again, nothing but respect to water and its ally, gravity. Two sets of plumbers visited, the first incompetent, the second competent. Why in this town do all plumbing services have "rooter" in their name?

***

While I was down with the scratches, I tried to watch a bit of daytime tv. Wow. You three regular readers know that I can watch me some crap. But the predominance of Court TV shows (four on six channels in the two time slices sampled) made me wonder about who watches this misery. What does it mean to their life? Do I want to live near them?

Not to be unkind to my new town, but it might have been instructive if one channel featured meth cases.
But that's not the point, is it.

2 Comments:

At 7:23 AM, Blogger MJ said...

OOOh major bummer about the antibiotics. The Rach has that reaction as well. And yes, I am convinced the current state of daytime television is what has driven stay at homes into the workforce. Soothing green tea or oatmeal baths may give brief respite from the damnable itch.Sending analgesic energy your way...

 
At 1:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope your misery is just a memory by now. Enjoy that new position!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home