Thursday, June 01, 2006

Permission

Somehow, photos of flowers help me talk about difficult subjects.

I like many like to think of my self as a tolerant, if not accepting, person. Yesterday, I saw a lovely confusing thing.

In my lifestyle-rich neighborhood, there was a family which consisted of two dads, and five adorable, excited little kids from all over the racial map. Really sweet, bright people that make you feel good just by looking at them. Also, God bless them for having five five-year olds at the same time. All having fun as a family.

What gave me pause? I was sitting to them and cocking an ear because I like to listen to little kids talk. The surprise was that one of the guys was "dad" and the other one was "mom."

Can that be good for the kids? Honestly, I don't know. I have no idea. They seemed like outstanding little persons with two vibrant, loving parents so they're probably going to turn out great, not just fine. In a world where having two daddies is known, maybe "dad and mom" is the next step. I liked having the set. Why shouldn't these kids have them too?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home