Friday, July 07, 2006

As Children

New Job: Day two

Compliments on how sharp I was came in a distant second to my joy over getting my Seattle Times bus pass (good for one year). I've never commuted by bus or had a pass like this before. I was as impressed and excited as any kiddle getting their first library card.

I had to wonder why so irrationally giddy. I kept thinking of my ancient grandma's last years where she gently reclaimed a childhood that was ripped from her. She indulged herself in ice cream, insisted on the same large soda glass as everyone else, and let her nemesis -the weed- grow without a fight.

My hope is that I am regaining some of the joy that I let go so early in my life.
At least a couple of times today, if you could have peeked into my world, you would have witnessed something wonderful, maybe a bit strange. You'd have seen a little boy who had collapsed his world into a little space that consisted of his glowing face, a bus card in his hands and thoughts of free rides wherever he wanted to go.

1 Comments:

At 7:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa ... wait for me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home