Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Signs of Life, Part 2

You squeamish among us, attend elsewhere.

I have a conjecture, a prediction that I am sure you will first hear from me. The leading medical journals will follow. Eat my dust, JAMA. Before I break the news, an edifying digression. Just a few years ago, a study demonstrated that the leading cause of the spread of infection in British hospitals was the necktie. Doctors, in their desire to appear professional, became silky vectors of contagion.

So here's my distasteful prediction. You'll be seeing a related story about Blackberries in the coming year or two. It's easy enough to know that keyboards can't be kept clean. It's another thing to sit in the men's room merrily clicking away while you're doing your business. For God's sake you Blackberry people, put the thing down. I expect that few have taken the expensive option of the aftermarket, anti-microbial keyboard. These aren't iPod users after all.

I don't know if it's the same in the girl world. That's not my beat. I'm reporting based on the clicking I've heard a number of times from the stalls in my low-tech office. Believe me, I am not happy to have to report this news. But you did hear it here first. I am unfortunately certain that I'll never think of the term "crackberry" in the same way again. Please forgive me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home