Thursday, January 04, 2007

Taste

A number of you faithful readers have seen my favorite house here on Capitol Hill. It's a pretty snappy yet understated affair. Dark natural color notes, situated on a long lot, unusual site orientation and a nice mom-in-law cottage. Inverted bell rain spouts, backlit house number. Just a bunch of solid touches within a solid plan.

I've often walked by in the hopes of complimenting the owners but I have not yet had the opportunity. They might have to work constantly to afford to live on such a prime spot in such fine digs.

Last night, I walked by and the front room was lit up for the first time I can remember. Neighborhood voyeurs are nothing new, nothing special. I just want to see how the Jones are faring, basic human nature.

I saw something that I really didn't expect. Not one, but two paintings that were on display at Victrola, our local coffee haus. One painting was from a show that was okay, in my opinion. Very anime and squat. The other painting surprised me. There was a show of brown cartoonish stick men, unvarying and uninteresting. A number of you probably saw those paintings as well. Not impressive. A large example of the stringy brown profile hung near the mostly red little girl.

These two paintings worked together. I would have never seen that pairing, never would have cared to figure it out. The stick man paintings did suffer from being displayed together. Somehow they saw beyond that and the two paintings form a little dialogue in their living room. Now, I really want to say HI and compliment them on their digs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home