Friday, December 22, 2006

Office Elf

There's something noble about volunteering to be the sap in the office on the day before Christmas. Top Pot doughnuts made the day merry and somewhat bright for my co-workers. Bright at least until we started digesting those bastards.

I have four more days in this place and I expect a battle with my inner whiner every day about whether I will call in sick. How is it that a generally pleasant workplace could grow so rancid? And that I could be so cranky about it?Nonetheless, I'm out of here soon, so onto another more pleasing job.

In spite of my crabbing, work has been done today. Three magnificent crises- one of my own, two for others- done. Only one mattered really. I had to call an upscale national retailer and find a live body to get some materials from them within a two hour deadline. Worked out fine of course. Two hours is nowhere near last minute. Now I'm blogging for God's sake. It is lunchtime so I don't feel so bad about it.

For those curious, I'll be up at Janeen's family's compound for Christmas. They're a very nice bunch to invite me up. My plan is to get lit up everynight and entertain with full-throated versions of Elvis Costello's Christmas Carols. Good times.

Last night, I learned about positions at a company that sells used heavy equipment. That's the most exciting thing I've heard about in some time. Don't be fooled by our sophisticated, aging exterior. Most of us boys would still rather hang out with machines that could pull an arm out of its socket.

The other big news is that I've had a ton of fun watching the block near where I work being excavated. They're reduce a giant granite boulder to rubble using chemicals! They're now at a clay layer which is gorgeous. The clay is a shimmering blue gray. If only I could find a bunch of pullovers in that color. I want to sneak in and touch the stuff. It's enough clay to keep many potters happy, including this one.

Merry Christmas all!

1 Comments:

At 7:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blogging at work, eh? Excellent!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home