Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Just How Smart?

I am always stupified by the enormous annual report that comes annually from my 401k guys. It's big, did I mention that? Over 600 onion skin pages. It's like a softcover volume of the Oxford English Dictionary and far less useful.

I do rifle through it because the nice postal worker had to deal with it so I feel obligated to do my own review. Basically, this consists of trying to find the most obscure business sectors in the schedule of investments and the funniest funds. So far, the Ultra Short Bond Fund wins hands down. The different sectors are a bit harder to choose. Right now, Fisheries is winning over Airport Development and Diversified Minerals.

The folks at Principal are compelled by some silly law to send this to me each year. But they're also nice enough to send a score card each quarter with a big Thumbs up and Thumbs down. That I get. I like that report because it's simple and in color and tells me that I'll have to work another 130 years to attain my financial goals. Ha ha ha! Kidding. It's only 70 years. Kidding! Really.

I know that in theory, there's a lot to be said about having the details about where my money is spending its time. But other than the cost of the individual fund, I don't know if I'd ever have enough specialized knowledge to have the details make a difference. Do you think otherwise?

You will be happy to know that I am taking this diversion during my lunch hour. I've been diligently combing through the electrons looking for jobs. This afternoon, I'll have a well-deserved cup of coffee and then get back to the work of work. But for now, I'm thankful that the Principal Financial Group sent me their fine magazine. But for now, my best investment is getting me back in the workforce.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home